Guest Blog by David Thalberg of BrandStandBooks
Step One: Why are Your Writing a Book?
Step 2: Read and Research
Step 3: Write Down Your Title
Step 4: Make an Outline
- Name your key characters
- Name geographic settings
- Character conflicts
- Steps to overcome a situation – or to learn something
- Write an overview – of the entire book (in 30 words or less), or as each chapter will develop
Step 5: WRITE!
- Set a daily time where you will always be writing
- Set a word count minimum
- Find an ideal location to write – someplace inspiring (some prefer a coffee shop, others prefer a quiet office – it’s all up to you)
- Review what you’ve written every day
- Set a plan for tomorrow, so you’ll have an idea of what’s to come
- Talk to your characters (even in non-fiction, you will have major players) – listen to what they’re saying to you, and incorporate that into your writing.